Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Inspiration

In a recent re-reading of A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille, I came across a section called "Writing as Learning."  In it Olive talked about how Thomas Jefferson and his mentor, George Wythe, had a Commonplace Book were they wrote about what they learned and studied each day.  Oliver then encouraged mentors to write daily essays.  He says it is a "great way to document your process and progress.  It increases daily retention, interest and discussion."  One of my "jobs" is to be a parent mentor.  I also have a desire to be a better writer.  Jonathan has encouraged me to start a writing blog and after reading this section I have decided to do just that.  I am convinced (maybe that's too strong of a word) that it will be the best way for me to be an example to my kids and the best way for me to become a better writer.  My goal is to post something everyday.  It will (probably) mostly be about the books (secular and non) that I read, but occasionally I will post about a different classics.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ashlee. You are such a great example to us all!!!

    ReplyDelete