Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tabitha/Dorcus

At Women's Conference this last April, I attended a class on women in the scriptures and it inspired me to study those women.  I began by reading the stories of the women I knew--Nephi's wife and mother, Mary the mother of Jesus, the mother's of the 2000 warriors and a few other well known women.  Then I got stuck.  I realized that I didn't know any other women or how to find them.  I got online and found a great blog.  She keeps a journal of all the women mentioned in the scriptures--named, unnamed and any other reference to women--and shares some of what she has learned.  She suggests reading all 5 books and doing the same, but for now I'm just taking her lists of women and studying them.  She also gives a list of questions that she recommends you ask yourself as you study.  The questions are great for me.  They force me to look deeper into the story.  My answers may be way off base, but that isn't the point of the asking.  All the questions aren't always applicable to each story/woman.

Questions:
1. What is unique about this woman her story?
2. How does she fit into the time period in which she lived?
3. What Christlike qualities does she exemplify?
4. What would I ask her if I could meet her?
5. How can I relate to her?
6. What can I (or someone else I know) learn from her experiences?
7. How are her trials similar to the spiritual battles I face today?

Yesterday I read about Tabitha/Dorcus in Acts 9:36-42. 
The story: The book says that Tabitha is a disciple (a student or learner/follower of Christ).  She is a good woman and is full of service.  She made clothes and coats.  Dorcus is the Greek translation of her name.  She gets sick and dies.  Peter comes and raises her from the dead. 
1. unique? She was a disciple. 
3. Christlike qualities? charity, faith, brotherly kindness, diligence
4. ask her?  I would probably ask her about death and what happened next?
6. learn from her?  how to be a disciple.

If nothing else I am learning more stories from the scriptures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment