Monday, November 14, 2011

Is There Such a Thing as a Good Lie?

Recently I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer a loud to my kids to prepare for our homeschool kid book discussion.  There were a lot of things to talk about: how boys and girls relate to each other, superstition, friends, adventure, behaviors in kids, treasure and honesty.  I was particularly interested in the discussion about honesty.  There are several times when Tom tells a lie and the people affected forgive him saying it was a good lie.  I raised the question “Is there such a thing as a good lie?”  I was surprised at the responses and comments from the kids and later from the moms.

Let us go to the story and look at Tom’s lies.  The first is after he and 2 of his friends run away and are mistaken as dead.  A funeral is planned for the supposed dead boys.  Before the funeral Tom sneaks back into the town and observes his Aunt Polly and Mrs. Harper remembering all the good traits of the boys.  Later, after the funeral and the boys reveal themselves to be alive, Aunt Polly rebukes Tom saying it was “a pity [he] could be so hard-hearted as to let [her] suffer so.”  She thinks that he should have given her a hint that he had only run away.  Tom then proceeds to tell Aunt Polly about the time he snuck into town.  Only in his telling he lies and says it was a dream.  When Aunt Polly discovers the lie she says “it’s a blessed, blessed lie, there’s such a comfort come from it,” and later “it’s a good lie—it’s a good lie—I won’t let it grieve me.”  She is forgiving the lie because he believes Tom did it out of his love for her.  Is lying to protect someone’s feelings OK? 


Another lie of Tom’s happened later in the story at school.  Tom’s girlfriend, Becky Thatcher, had ripped a picture of the teacher’s and Tom was the only witness.  He knew that Becky would get punished when the teacher found out she had done it; so when the teacher started asking the students if they had committed this misdeed, Tom jumped up and confessed that it was he and took the punishment.  Becky believed Tom to be “noble” and bragged about his actions to her father.  Judge Thatcher said that it was “a noble, a generous, a magnanimous lie—a lie that was worthy to hold up its head and march down through history breast to breast with George Washington’s lauded Truth about the hatchet!”  In this case Tom lied to physically protect someone he cared for.  Is this type of lie OK?


Now, back to the discussion.  When I posed the question “Is there really such a thing as a good lie?” most of the kids responded with yeses.  They sided with Aunt Polly and Judge Thatcher.  In a later discussion with the moms several moms brought up how people lied to save the lives of Jews during World War II.  It seems that the opinion of most is that a lie that protects someone else is a good lie. 


I struggled with this idea.  I’m not saying that I’ve never told a lie, but I tend to lean toward the letter of the law than the spirit of the law in this case.  The law found in D&C 42:21 says “thou shalt not lie; he that lieth and will not repent shall be cast out.”  Two of the Ten Commandments also deal with honesty: “thou shalt not steal” and “thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.”  We are commanded to be honest in all our doings.  Does that mean that we shouldn’t lie to help or protect someone?  I think so.  What do you think?  Is there such a thing as a good lie?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...has been a really long time since I read Tom Sawyer, but in both cases I never believed he lied because he was thinking of others. I always believed that he lied to either impress his girlfriend, but more importantly the father. And he also lied so his Aunt would not punish him, not because he truly wanted to show how much he loved her.
    Tom Sawyer is not one of my favorite characters...
    Now in terms of things like World War II - what were the lies exactly? I think the lives saved out weigh the lie...but again, what was the lie? Was it they hid people in their homes and "failed to report" it? Was it that they came up with "jobs" for people so they would not be deported? Was it that they looked the other way when the Jews were escaping?
    I think when we choose to lie - because we all do. We have to know if it is for selfish reasons like Tom Sawyer (and it usually is) or are we truly saving lives (which rarely happen, but does - take the undergound railroad as an example).
    And finally, the key to all mistakes and sins is repentance. Am I truly sorry that I lied and can I make retribution and accept the punishment? In most cases, the lies are selfish, so the repentance is harder because we will be punished.
    In something noble, like saving lives, how do you repent and have retribution? Do you wait until after the war to "confess" you saved lives by your lying? And would you even truly be sorry?
    I just hope I am never in the position to find out. I have a hard enough time with the selfish lies (white lies) or the lies of omission without wonderfing if my lies would save or protect someone.

    O.K. - Devil's advocate time - Here is a catch-22: If you tell the truth were to cause someone to be killed...would you be responsable for that death. And if you are responsable for the death then you have broken the commandment thou shalt not kill. However, to ensure the person is not killed, you must lie - which breaks another commandment. So either way you are in trouble. What do you do? If we follow the creed "Do What is Right and let the consequence follow"? How do we know and choose which right to follow? Just asking...don't know the answer....I can be bad at playing the Devil's advocate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been such a good topic for our family! We have not read Tom Sawyer, but I read a story from the friend whose theme was lying. I asked the children the same questions.
    They couched their answers with examples of what a good lie would look like. Katia's: if you were trying to help someone escape a dungeon and they didn't want to - you could lie and say his family was on the other side.
    Zack's: if someone didn't like the food on their plate you could like and say it tasted really good so they would eat it.
    Sabine: if you had food on your plate that you didn't like, you tell the cook it was good any way.
    I then asked them to find a way to handle these situations without lying. They did pretty good, but poor Sabine was left (in her mind) with having to be brutally honest "this is disgusting!". However, she did not want to say that because I have been teaching them to not say food tastes bad.
    We then moved the discussion to the grandparents and got their input over dinner. It was cool to see the children get yet another opinion on lying and why we shouldn't.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete