Sunday, September 9, 2012

Surviving Winter

The Fourth Turning by William Strauss and Neil Howe is a history book that talks about the cycles of history.  The authors believe there are 4 cycles, or turnings, that have repeated themselves throughout all of recorded history. 

  • The first turning is a High, an upbeat era of strengthening institutions and weakening individualism, when a new civic order implants and the old values regime decays.
  •  The second turning is an Awakening, a passionate era of spiritual upheaval, when the civic order comes under attack from a new values regime.
  • The third turning is an Unraveling, a downcast era of strengthening individualism and weakening institutions, when the old civic order decays and the new values regime implants.
  • The fourth turning is a Crisis, a decisive era of secular upheaval, when the values regime propels the replacement of the old civic order with a new one.  (page 3)
  •  
The authors compare these turnings to the seasons, the first turning being spring and the fourth being winter.  According to the patterns they have seen in history, America is about to head into the 4th turning--winter.  They predict that "real hardship will beset the land."  There is a possibility of war and a ruined nation.  Reading these paragraphs scared me, but then I read this: "Yes, winter is coming, but our path through that winter is up to us."
 
That line made me think of The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder in which Laura and her family survive a 7 month blizzard.  How were they able to survive?  Can I use those principals to help my family and myself survive the future winter? 
 
One of the first things I notice about Laura's family is that they remained positive and grateful.  Pa started his morning singing, the older kids didn't complain for the sake of the the younger kids, and they were grateful for the little mercies like fresh butter or plenty of potatoes.  It is so hard to be positive when life is difficult, but the Ingalls family made a choice to be happy.
 
Laura's family also had ingenuity.  When they ran out of fuel, Pa and Laura braided hay to use in the stove.  Ma made a new lamp for light and sourdough instead of yeast for bread.  They lived on 2 meals and went to bed when it was dark to save food and light.  They found different ways to do things.  Ma commented that they had gotten dependant on new inventions.  I love having technology and modern conveniences, but I'm trying to become more self-reliant. 

When the Ingall's family learned that it was going to be a hard winter, they moved from their shanty to town.  They thought being closer to people would help.  Pa was able to hear news from the train, buy grain, share ideas and help others.  The girls were also able to attend school for a short amount of time.  But, most of the time they were stuck in their house, not even able to see past their front window.  They had to rely on each other.  They showed how having a strong family can help you survive difficult times. 

Another way they survived the winter was through hard work.  They stayed busy.  Pa did his outside chores and, on days with good weather, he hauled hay.  Ma and the girls did the inside chores.  The girls worked on school assignments, they read and recited, played games and did what they could to keep their minds off the terrible storm.  I think, if given the opportunity, they would have served the other members of their community.  I have been taught the importance of work and am grateful to parents and grandparents who have shown that example. 

Though I'm not looking forward to the difficult times I believe are ahead, I hope that with a positive attitude, some ingenuity, family and friends, and a little hard work I will be able to survive. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love "The Long Winter" - probably my favorite Ingalls book.
    I have heard the idea that history is a cycle that repeats, but have never been able to figure out where America stands in the cycle. Interesting that the authors say we are approaching "winter".
    I admit that I believe hard times are ahead. Just like I believe we, the people, are being presented with 2 very clear choices this coming Nov. and where are nation is headed will be the outcome of that Nov. choice.
    I like to believe that America's winter can be pushed back by the choices we make come election day.
    Thanks for a great book review/discussion!

    ReplyDelete