Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Catalyst for Change

I don't often set new year's resolutions, but I did this year after seeing a cool "bullet journal" goal setting post. Like most people and resolutions, I haven't been very good at consistently working on my goals. It doesn't really bother me, but for some reason the goal I set to write has been nagging me all year. I know that writing will be an important part of my mission, but it's one of my least favorite things to do and I wasn't sure how I should accomplish this goal. I finally decided to DO something so I committed to writing a blog post once a week.

I just finished reading "The Freedom Writers Diary" aloud to my kids. I'm not recommending it--there were a lot of graphic scenes and foul language, but the message was good-- tolerance. It was a very eye opening book for us. We had no idea that people lived like the kids in the book; that people judge and hurt others all because of the color of their skin. It was shocking and heartbreaking.

A few things we learned from the book:
1. Good teachers know how to inspire.
2. There are a lot of hurting people in the world.
3. There is power in reading a good book and asking how it applies to you.
4. Other people are going through/have gone through the same thing that you are going through. You are not alone in your suffering.
5. Change/breaking a cycle is possible.
6. Not everyone wants a better life.
7. But some people do and are willing to help you.
8. Writing can change you and those around you.
9. Having a support group and good association can help you as you change.
10. Don't judge others.

The last paragraph of the book compared the book to a relay race. The first lap was Anne Frank, the second was Zlata Filipovic who was inspired  by Anne Frank. The third lap were the diaries which were inspired by Anne Frank and Zlata Filipovic. And the fourth lap is the reader. The writer's hope is that the reader will "pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change." Maybe that is why I feel a call to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment