"Happiness is created by doing some simple, easy
things, and doing them every day." from The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
The first time I read The Slight Edge, I was most impacted by chapter 7: The Secret of Happiness. Jeff Olson shares 5 Happiness Habits found in another book called The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor. These habits, if done consistently, every day will, over time, make you happier. You will began to rewire your brain to see the world in a different way.
1. Each morning, write down 3 things you're grateful for. Different things each day. This trains your brain to search for the positive and be aware of the good.
2. Journal for 2 minutes each day about 1 positive experience you've had over the past 24 hours. Write down every detail you can remember. This causes your brain to re-experience the experience.
3. Meditate daily. Stop everything, relax, and focus on something (usually your breath). This trains your brain to be mindful and focus where you want it to.
4. Do a random act of kindness over the course of each day. Make it simple. Each day send a text to someone praising them or thanking them for something they did.
5. Exercise for 15 minutes daily. Even a brisk walk has a powerful antidepressant impact.
I like to keep my gratitudes simple. Usually just one word or a short phrase; something that only I will understand and remember. Sometimes they are longer with more details so I can refer back to it if needed.I've found that gratitude helps fix a bad attitude. If one of my kids (or me) complains about something I will ask them to say something they are grateful for and it will often change the direction of the conversation and stop the bad attitude. A grateful heart means there is no room for complaining. Gratitude also helps build an abundance mindset. When we are grateful for what we have, we are more likely to have more to be grateful for. Gratitude creates happiness.
A few things from my June gratitude journal. . .
my husband
safe travels
a full fridge
crossing everything off my to do list
friends to help take care of Braedi while she travels
swimming pools
all my kids being home
good leaders
finishing good books
making future plans
peanut butter
podcasts
Are you ready for a happier life? What are you grateful for?
No comments:
Post a Comment