Week 5--Gracious Declining
This week's technique gave me more practice in "refraining from engaging unwanted, frivolous, and negative thoughts." I pretended that each thought was a door-to-door salesman that kept trying to get my attention. My job was to first focus on my breath, then open the door, look at each thought, and then decline to let it in.
7/23 For the past 3 weeks I have been wanting to focus on my breath again and now that I am, I don't like it. I'm just not "getting" it. I know he was that the only bad meditation is no mediation. I'm not sure that is true. I started out doing this because it was part of the class with a slight hope that it would do something, but now I'm just doing it because I said I would do it for 8 weeks. I grudgingly set my alarm and get into position. I thought that my attitude would change over time. I am trying and I will keep trying and hoping for 4 more weeks.
7/24 better. . .for a little in the middle. . .gotta remember to return to the anchor point
7/26 how am I supposed to "get" anything out of meditation if I keep turning away my thoughts? I can't have an "a-ha" moment. I think I need to go back and read the beginning about the benefits and reason for meditation.
Week 6 Private Screening
During this week, I brought my attention to my "mind screen"--the place in my thoughts where my visual images seem to be projected. When thoughts arose, I would notice them and then return to my "mind screen".
7/30 Oooh! I might like this one. :) But almost every image provoked a thought and vise-versa.
8/1 No images today--only thoughts. I kept trying to go back to the screen, but was blank.
8/4 I changed my mind--I don't like this one--thoughts and images are too closely related. Plus I saw a scary image tonight. It caused me to stop, open my eyes, pray and hum a hymn.

the different meditation techniques are interesting...looking forward to reading the rest of the weeks.
ReplyDelete