Have you ever wondered what the devil is thinking as he tries to drag you down to his miserable station? C.S. Lewis has a pretty good idea. The Screwtape Letters is a compilation of letters written by one devil (Uncle Screwtape) to another devil (his nephew, Wormwood) giving him "advice for the capturing of the human heart."
This is my second attempt at reading this book and I am happy to say that this time I was successful. Years ago I started reading it because it was a favorite of Jonathan's best friend, but I didn't get very far. This time my mentor recommended it and she is the only reason I forced myself to finish. I can't quite pinpoint what it is that I didn't like--the fact that they call God the enemy? The style of writing? The way Screwtape makes his way seem the right way? I don't know, but I hope I never have to read this book again.
With that being said, I did learn something from this book. In each letter, C.S. Lewis shows us several different ways that the devil tempts and tricks us. I think that knowing a little bit about how Satan thinks will help us be better prepared to fight him and defend our homes and family. The devil uses distraction--using worldly things to keep our minds off of spiritual things. He wants us to judge others and think that we are better. He tries to tamper with our relationships, using negative thoughts and feelings. The devil wants to make sure our prayers are selfish and repetitive and hopes that we will think they are ineffective. He also wants us to be take our likes and dislikes to extremes and become fanatic about them. He hopes to get us depressed because we are easier to be tempted. He hopes to keep us from action--to think, but not do. Another way he tricks us is to get us to focus on the future instead of the present. He wants us to be selfish and prideful. The devil takes a virtue of Christ a spins it his way.
He is subtle, but this knowledge can help us win the battle.

I have read excerpts from this book and always found it very hard & disconcerting. I have not been brave enough to read the whole thing. Good job!
ReplyDelete