I will often download audio books for the kids to listen to during quiet time. Awhile ago they began listening to "Maniac Magee", but turned it off about half way through because they didn't like it. They couldn't tell me why. After a recommendation from my aunt we decided to try it again, only this time with me reading it aloud so that if there were any questions or concerns I would be there to address them. The story is about a young, white boy (Maniac) who runs away and ends up in a small town that is divided--east side blacks, west side whites. At the beginning, Maniac is unaware of the segregation and lives on the east side with a black family. But because of racial tension he runs away again. He bounces from family to shelter to family to shelter, always searching for a place to call home. He ends up being friends with kids and families from both sides and tries to get them to see that we are all people--no matter the color of our skin.
I bet there were some pretty heavy duty questions with this book! I read somewhere once that children do not see color in the beginning...meaning, they don't recognize that someone's skin color is different from theirs. It usually takes someone pointing it out to them. I know that Katia has a friend that has a mixed heritage - her mom is white and her dad is black - however, it wasn't until Katia was school age that she began to use the color of her friends skin as a way to describe her. I was a little sad when it happened. Also, when I lived on Saipan - everyone was brown. After 3 years of living amongst the islanders, coming back to the states felt weird - I only saw white faces, and those faces looked odd to me. Strange, huh?
ReplyDelete