Monday, January 7, 2013

Book #1

Jonathan made a goal to read a book a week last year.  He kept track of his books on Goodreads and actually read over 65.  It wasn't really a book a week (sometimes he read no books, sometimes he read 3 books), but he read at least one for every week of the year.  Discussing this, Jonathan thinks that, with the books I read to the kids and the books I read on my own, I read more than that.  So, this year I am going to try to keep track.  I'm debating as to whether I should include the audio book, but I think I will. 

The first book I read probably shouldn't count because I started it last year, but I'm in the middle of Les Miserables and I'm DEFINITELY going to count that one when I finally finish!  I read The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Ange aloud to the kids as part of our homeschool book club.  It's about a young boy, Robin, who is supposed to be a page to a knight, but gets sick and loses the use of his legs.  With the help of a friar he learns that there are opportunities for everyone, no matter what their situation. 

When the friar first meets Robin he says, "Thou  has only to follow the wall far enough and there will be a door in it."  Then several times he shows Robin the doors.  The friar teaches Robin how to read and write believing that that skill would help him go if his legs couldn't.  The friar also teaches Robin how to swim to strengthen his arms.  Robin later gains the ability to use crutches because of this strength.  The friar said that the crutches would be a "door in the wall" because they would give him opportunities to be independent.  Another "door in the wall" was the different ways Robin was able to serve--not the same as a knight, but in his own way. 

What in your life has been a "door in the wall"?

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to ponder that question, because right now I am not sure...although I am sure I have some doors in my walls.

    ReplyDelete