I enjoy reading books that take a familiar story and give it a twist or let the reader see the same world from a different character's point of view. My most resent read was Entwined--the story of the 12 dancing princesses. The book was shared at a homeschool book report fair and both Braedi and I were interested. Braedi read it first and then told me I had to read it.
When I was just a few chapters into the book, Braedi asked me if I liked it. I struggled to find the right answer. I tried to explain that I just finished reading one of the most talked about, well-written books and then to go to a fun, simple book was a bit of a disappointment. I told her that I liked the story, but it wasn't as good as Les Miserables. But it's not fair to compare the two books. Entwined was good for it's own reasons. Entwined is a story about family struggles, about love, about sisters, about protecting, about dancing, about courage, about promises, and about magic. It was enjoyable.
Is it meant for younger readers? I find that if I finish a really compelling good book that my next book needs to be similar...I have a hard time jumping between genres, age levels and the abilities of the writers.
ReplyDelete