Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book #15

We listen to a lot of audio books in the car while driving.  One series that we started listening to last year was the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  We just finished the 5th book--The Chessmen of Mars.  In this story John Carters daughter, Tara, gets lost in a storm, then kidnapped, then escapes only to get caught again, then finally rescued. 

It had a slow start, but when we started meeting more characters it got interesting.  There were creatures that were only heads, but would attach themselves to bodies.  They believed that the mind was more powerful than the body.  Then we met another race of martians who played Jatan (I'm not sure if that is spelled right--when I listen, I have to guess at a lot).  Jatan is a little like chess, but these martians played it live and to the death.  We learned about love along side Tara.  And we learned about courage and chivalry. 

I've enjoyed the books.  One one hand I'm glad that we listen to it because I wouldn't be able to pronounce the names, on the other had I wish it was a different reader. 

1 comment: