Monday, February 25, 2013

Book #13


What is Leadership?  According to Chris Brady and Orrin Woodward, the authors of Launching a Leadership Revolution, leadership is “the influence of others in a productive, vision-driven direction and is done through the example, conviction, and character of the leader.”  They believe that a leader empowers, helps others to fix problems and serves others.  The book is educational.  It teaches the reader how to master the skills needed to become a true leader. 

I follow the homeschooling philosophy found in A Thomas Jefferson Education called Leadership Education.  When I try to explain to people what the philosophy is or how we teach and learn in our home, I struggle to make it come out right.  I say that it builds leaders, that it teaches how to think instead of what to think, that it uses classics instead of text books and brings us face to face with great people from history.  I get a few confused looks, but people will mostly let me do what I want to do.  Even though I have faith in the philosophy and am following the keys, I question my understanding of how to train a leader.   I also wonder if I am capable of being a true leader.  This book, though, has given me additional insight on what a leader is and does and aligns with what I already know. and believe.

Mr.’s Brady and Woodward teach that there are steps to becoming a leader and even certain skills that must be learned before one can climb those steps.  A person must be hungry (be motivated), be hone-able (teachable and changeable) and be honorable. 

They then introduce the Cycle of Achievement—the importance of having a vision, setting goals, making a game plan, working to achieve goals and seeking counsel.  This is kind of like having a mission, then making goals to fulfill that mission and using a mentor to help and guide. 

After learning these foundational qualities, a leader is ready to climb the steps.  The authors introduce 5 levels of influence(the steps to becoming a leader)—learning, performing, leading, developing leaders, and developing developers of leaders.  They say that a leader never leaves the skills of the previous step as they move to the next--"a leader picks up new abilities while accumulating and expanding his or her influence."  I love the idea that a leader should always be learning and that a job of a leader is to train more leaders. 

I have many areas where I am a leader (some by choice and some by calling), and I am at different steps in each area.   As I read I saw areas where I could improve and become a better leader.  For example, I am a reader and am constantly learning, but I think an area where I need work is performing.  I want the things I learn to lead to action.  "Proper thinking is the foundation of proper actions, and proper actions are what give birth to performance."  The book is filled with historical examples of leaders who went through the steps. 
 
A leader's visions outlive them.  They do things that change the world.  I've learned that the best way to change the world is start with yourself.  Then help those around you change.  I am changing the world--one person at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! So true - must work on ourselves before we can help others. Changing the world is truly one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete