Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Book #38

"We're off to see the wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of OZ!"  I broke out in song several times as I read this book aloud to the kids.  What a fun story, even thought it isn't the same as the movie I grew up watching and singing along with. 

Dorothy is carried by a cyclone to the land of OZ and befriends some strange characters--the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion.  They make their way to the Emerald City in hopes that the wizard will give them their deepest wish.  The irony of their wishes is that 3 of them already have what they want.  The Scarecrow wants brains, but his ideas along the trip show that he already has brains.  The Tin Woodman wishes for a heart, but he is always kind and thoughtful to all the creatures.  The Cowardly Lion desires courage, but often shows courage and bravery in the face of danger.  Even Dorothy has the ability to get back to Kansas the whole time, she just doesn't know the power is contained in her silver shoes.  The 4 friends go on many adventures and overcome many trials, but in the end, they all get what they want.

I can't remember if I already knew there were more books about the land of OZ or if I learned it from friends who were reading the series.  I decided it would be a fun series to read.  Most of the kids have already read the first book, but I decided to start there anyway for the benefit for the youngest two.  They loved it and all are looking forward to the next book in the series. 

1 comment:

  1. I got Katia to read this book for the first time this summer. She loved it. I have only read about half of the original series.

    ReplyDelete