Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Book #39

My sister and I like to read books together so that we can discuss them and sometimes having a buddy/accountability partner helps me to finish tough books.  The latest book we read was "Ender's Game".  She read it for a book club and knew that I wanted to review it before I read it to my kids so she asked me to join her.  I love this book, but my kids aren't ready for it. 

It's funny how each time you read a book, you learn something different.  The first time I read it, I was intrigued.  I enjoyed it, but didn't really get it.  The second time I read it, I understood so much better the battle scenes.  This time, the leadership stood out to me.  The way Ender watched others and learned how to be a good leader. 

Some leadership skills I learned from Ender:
1. It isn't how you solve problems, but why.
2. A leader settles their own problems.
3. A leader knows what to do and what not to do by learning from others.
4. A leaders also knows what to do by trial and error. 
5. A leader evaluates their knowledge and understands how to apply it.
6. A leader often takes "the road less traveled."
7. A leader acts like a leader.
8. A leader asks the right questions.
9. Sometimes a leader has to act alone.
10. A leader must "stand strong" even when everything stands against him.
11. A leader gains trust.
12. A leader is not a manager--a leader must be in the trenches.

Ender realized that he had power, but it was "a power born of excellence, not manipulation."  He had respect and admiration from his crew.  He learned how to lead them. 

I don't know if I'll watch the movie.  I'm always disappointed in the changes made, but it might be interesting to see how they do the battle scenes. 

1 comment:

  1. Katia read this book recently and discussed it in length with Steve. She loves it and wants to read it again before the movie comes out. We are going to see the movie - mostly for the battle scenes, but a little nervous they will get the movie all wrong.

    ReplyDelete