The authors believe that history is cyclical (as opposed to linear or chaotic) and that there are 4 turnings (High/Founding, Awakening, Unraveling, and Crisis) with similar characteristics that repeat themselves every 80-100 years (a saeculum). There are also generational archetypes that are found in each turning: Prophet, Nomad, Hero and Artist. A Prophet is born during a High, Nomads during an Awakening, Heroes during an Unraveling and Artists during a Crisis. The authors share many examples from history to support the traits of the turnings and the archetypes. I had a hard time with all the history. I have a very small memory of learning about some of the events and people but I can't remember the details. The authors assume that the reader has some historical background. There were a couple of things that rang true, though. The idea that history is cyclical and that we can learn from past cycles. Edmund Burke warns that "those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." The kids and I have noticed the truth of that as we study world history. We've seen patterns and can guess what will happen when a ruler starts acting like a tyrant or when a civilization begins to fight among themselves. Knowing that history is cyclical can also help us prepare for the future. Even though our future isn't set in stone, there are things we can predict will happen based on the past.
Another theme that I liked was the idea that each generation is shaped by the previous generations, and a generation is what shapes the turning. "Your generation isn't like the generation that shaped you, but it has much in common with the generation that shaped the generation that shaped you." Each turning has a certain order of archetypes. The layering of the archetypes is what produces the turning. Every High has Nomads entering elderhood (63-83), Heroes entering midlife (42-62), Artists entering young adulthood (21-41), and Prophets entering childhood (0-20). The attributes of each turning have to do with what life-cycle (elderhood, midlife, young adulthood, childhood) the archetypes are entering. Along with that, people who were Heroes during an Awakening in the Millennial Saeculum have similar characteristics as people who were Heroes during other Saeculums. The authors have charts and dates to help you figure out what generation you belong to, but they also say "there is not fixed formula for identifying the persona of a real-life generation. But it helps to look for three attributes: first, a generation's common location in history; second it's common beliefs and behavior; and third, its perceived membership in common generation." I am on the boarder of two generations--the 13th and the Millennial Generations. I have characteristics from both.
This book has been recommended by people that I trust and respect and has been used as a resource by other people that I respect. For that reason I read it. Unfortunately I discussed the book with people who hated it. They had nothing good to say and even thought that the portrayal of historical events was skewed and false. I tend to put my faith in the first set of people, but the second set of people has made me think: How can I know for myself if a book is true and giving correct information?
Haven't read the book - sounds like one that would give me a real headache, but would probably be worth reading.
ReplyDeleteAs for knowing if a book you read is true or not - just pray. All knowledge comes from God. We gain truth and knowledge from many sources, not just the scriptures. God wants us all to find the truth and gain knowledge, so He will help us on our journey, but also take the time to answer questions. :) I have a great story about this, but to long for a comment section!