Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book #31

"When you teach  your son, you teach your son's son."--The Talmud
 
 
I just finished reading another parenting book that was recommended by some homeschool moms.  "Parenting the Strong-Willed Child" by Kevin Hinckley is a book about "fortifying our youth and healing our prodigals."  Though I didn't care for the writing style (not enough examples and stories) or think it was all that appropriate for me and my children, I did find one nugget. 
 
In one of the first chapters Kevin Hinckley compares King Benjamin's people to the Anti-Nephi-Lehies.  Both groups of people were converted to the Lord, made covenants and took on a new name.  But the conversion of the first group did not carry over into the lives of their children.  So, what was different?  How come some righteous parents have righteous kids and some have rebellious kids?  According to the author there are 3 reasons that helped the Anti-Nephi-Lehies remain strong and help their children gain strong testimonies: Pre-conversion, Complete Transformation, and Laying Down Weapons of Rebellion.
 
The Lamanites were a covenant making and keeping people.  The didn't break oaths and that helped lay the foundation for their future transformation.  This was part of their pre-conversion.  Do I teach my children the importance of personal integrity--doing what you say you will do?  Do I have personal integrity?  Am I building that foundation?
 
Part of having a complete transformation is making life-style changes--living differently from the world.  "If children are to cling to the faith, they must clearly see the differences between a gospel-centered life and how the rest of the world lives.  They also need to see and experience the joy that results from living the gospel."  After their conversion the Anti-Nephi-Lehies didn't see themselves as Lamanites and knew that they would never be Nephites, so they chose a new name to help them remember their covenants.  They removed themselves from old influences.  Do we live differently than the world?  Do my children feel that difference and recognize the peace?
 
After this conversion the Anti-Nephi-Lehies buried their weapons of war and their weapons of rebellion.  "They became a righteous people; they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more, neither against any of their brethren" (Alma 23:7).  They had a change of heart and knew that they couldn't stain their swords again with the blood of their brethren.  They also needed to give up any rebellious actions directed toward God. 
 
Kevin Hinckley says that the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehies "document[s] a deep conversion by parents and show[s] its subsequent effect on their children."  He showed how important it is for a parent to have a transformed life to keep their children from rebelling.  Even though I didn't like this book, it did make me think and hope that I am fortifying my children and encouraging them to develop spiritual strength to fight off temptations they will face in this world. 

1 comment:

  1. Never quite looked at the Anti-Nephi-Lehi story quite like that, going to have to study it for myself!

    ReplyDelete