Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book #32

I love finding random books at the library that are filled with great themes.  "The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs" is all about seeing the wonders that are right in front of us. 

Eben lives in a small town, but dreams of bigger, more exciting places.  He makes a deal with his Pa that if he can find 7 wonders in their town in 7 days then Pa will send him on a train to visit his cousin in Colorado.  Eben is doubtful that will find any wonders, but he takes the bet and sets out to discover what secrets are hidden in Sassafras Springs. 

The wonders Eben finds are unique.  He realizes that they might not be wonders of the world, but they are wonders to his town.  "I looked down at that tiny Sassafras Springs and I thought about Junior's egg and Lessie Mull's log cabin quilt, Mrs. Saylor's jade bracelet and Aunt Pretty's green glass beads, Eulie Rowan's worn table and Calvin Smiley's ordinary saw.  'I was only looking for big things,' I told [Uncle Alf].  'But a small thing can be a prize too.'" 

The book made me wonder what wonders we can find if we just take the time to look. 

1 comment:

  1. What a fun book. Reminds me of a children's book we have...can't remember the title, but it is about a mermaid that lives in the ocean near Hawaii. She doesn't like her home either, she thinks it is boring, but a friend helps her see the "fun" of where she lives.

    ReplyDelete